Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A few of my favorite things (audiobooks)

As promised, here are my favorite books on cd/readers:

1. The Harry Potter series read by Jim Dale.
First of all, if you are going to listen to Harry Potter, the reader has to have a British accent. Secondly, I am amazed that all of the characters are read by this one man, because each one has a very distinctive voice without being cheesy. The man is brilliant, and of course, the books are as well.

2. Ilyana Kadushin (reader)
The quality of her voice is breathtaking. I encountered her for the first time in The Memory Keeper's Daughter, which was pretty good. She also narrates the entire Twilight series, which I found delightful, and I enjoyed her reading much more than the movie.

3. The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography by Sidney Poitier
I love to listen to books read by the author, and this is my favorite in that category. Sidney Poitier, in addition to having a wonderful voice, reads his book as if he were sitting on a porch with you telling you these stories firsthand. He even chuckles here and there. He is truly an amazing man.

4. Dreams From my Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama
Another book beautifully read by the author. Yes, I could listen to him read the phone book.

5. Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Read by the author...hmm, I'm seeing a trend. I read this several years ago when it came out and was very moved. I was moved again in listening to the author tell this powerful story of redemption. I also like to hear the author pronounce the places, names, and words that I do not know how to pronounce correctly.

6. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, Camille Kingsolver, and Steven L. Hopp
I have been on a food craze recently, reading lots of books on the food industry and such, and I enjoyed this book immensly because it is a more narrative form that still contains good information. It is also unique because it is written by Barbara Kingsolver's family, and all three authors participate in the reading.

7. The Camel Club by David Baldacci
The author does not read this, but I loved this book. Since I have started to listen to books on cd, I have listened to many of Baldacci's books. This one is my favorite. Baldacci writes conspiracy fiction that is based in Washington D.C., Richmond, and the Charlottesville area. That is my geographical home, so I enjoy reading books that are situated in areas that I know.

I would love to hear about any particular audiobooks or readers that you suggest!

No comments: