Monday, January 25, 2010

The Methodist Family

I am here with a group of pastors, so you know that we are going to spend a lot of time in the church.

Yesterday on Sunday, we attended two worship services in San Salvador, the capital city of El Salvador. It is a two hour drive from where we are staying, plus the flat tire that we had on the way there. We went first to the Methodist Church Vida Nueva (New Life). One of the greatest things about this church was the worship team, which consisted of about 10 young people, all under the age of 17, led by the music minister, who is 30. The drum player was a 15 year old girl, the keyboard player a 15 year old girl, and they were all phenomenal. They lead the worship at this church, and there is indeed a spirit of new life in this place. After worship I spent some time with a couple of 13 year olds, who were telling me about their church, their faith, and how they love to lead worship at the church.

The second church we attended was celebrating their 11th anniversary. The Methodist Church is 16 years old in El Salvador, founded in 1994. There was also lively music and worship at this church, and I enjoyed the opportunity to sing songs of praise to God that I don´t often get to sing anymore in my US context. Again I say, there is something about Latin American that makes me feel at home, that feels right. The most profound part of this service for me, however, was the prayer of the pastor at the end of the service. He asked for everyone to put their arms around the person standing beside them, and then he prayed a powerful word about our connection, how we are blessed to gather as Methodists from the US, Colombia, and El Salvador, how we are one body, one people and we together bless the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and serve him. I felt so connected to this Methodist family from many different contexts and places but gathered to sing glory and honor to God. The pastor prayed for us, for our churches, and for the world that belongs to God and is beloved by God. It was powerful.

We were all pretty worn out by the time we got in the car at 6:30 for our two hours drive home. But as I sat in the car and we drove home in the dark, I sat with my eyes closed and enjoyed the time to pray and meditate on how good God is and how thankful I am. It was really nice to have that time of stillness, of rest, of prayer and reflection, and I wonder that I don´t spend this amount of time at home like this. But then again, who has time to spend two hours in prayer and reflection...maybe I should. Maybe we all should. Maybe we are all way to busy to enjoy God´s goodness the way that we were created to, and too busy to enjoy God the way that we were created to?

No comments: